Prior to beginning work on this assignment, review the Career Planning Step by Step Download Career Planning Step by Step
Early childhood education is such a vast field of study including opportunities for many diverse roles and positions. Your desired profession likely played a major role in your selected field of study and the degree you plan to earn. While you might know exactly what you want to do with your degree, there are still typically required planning elements. Often times, we know where we want to go, but the path is not always as clear. For this journal assignment, you will conduct research and set clear goals to make sure you are on the correct route. To get a realistic handle on what it is going to take to achieve your career aspirations, it helps to create a “roadmap” that outlines the steps you need to take to reach your goals. As you conduct your research and begin planning, you should consider all of the courses you have taken and will take in the future, your prior experience both within and outside of the field of early childhood development, and any brainstorming and research you may have done so far in considering career options.
For this journal, you will research the requirements for your potential career path, reflect on your current skill set, and begin to examine the steps necessary to reach your career goals. The purpose of this journal is to help you create an organized career plan using the resources provided below.
To prepare for this journal,
· Utilize the Job Market Research (Links to an external site.) and Short-Term & Long-Term Goal Setting tools Download Short-Term & Long-Term Goal Setting tools provided by Career Services.
· Use this Individual Development Plan Download Individual Development Plan to outline a plan after your research.
In your journal,
· Summarize your job market research by including details you found on the job boards.
· Discuss your short- and long-term goals.
· Where would you like to be 1 to 5 years from now?
· What is the industry and role you would like to pursue for your career?
· Examine the skills and qualifications related to this type of role.
· Identify the qualifications you already possess.
· Identify the new skills, knowledge, certifications, or trainings that you still need to acquire.
· Discuss your Individual Development Plan and include details about your development goals, activities, the support required, and the timeline.
Suggested Assignment Length
· Two to three double-spaced pages (not including title and reference pages).
Research and Resource Expectations
· Sources are not required for your journal assignments. However, if you need to cite information, you must cite in APA format and include a reference page. Refer to the Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.) and Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resources created by the University of Arizona Global Campus Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
Writing and Formatting Expectations
· Syntax and Mechanics: Writing displays meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics, such as spelling, grammar, and punctuation.